Here are some step-by-step instructions on how to create a poll. A poll allows you to ask one multiple choice question and allows participants to choose from among answer options that you define. Check out the difference between a poll and a survey.
To get started, login to your Polldaddy dashboard. Click on the big blue, Create a new… dropdown and select Poll:
Name the poll, enter answer options
Now let’s name the poll and enter the answer options. To make a poll public, check the Make poll public checkbox. Note that all polls created in free accounts are public by default. Public polls are published on the Polldaddy Community site and anyone on the internet can see and participate in them. Private polls are available to paid accounts only. Private polls do not appear on the Community Site.
By default, there are five answer options. You can choose to add additional options by clicking on the Add New Answer button:
By default, possible answers appear in the order in which you entered them. We want to shake things up, so we’ve checked the Randomize answer order checkbox to serve the answer options in random order for each visitor. Finally, we’re going to allow participants to submit their own answer, if they can’t find their favorite cookie on our list. This adds an Other option with a textbox to the end of the list of answer options that participants can use to type in their own answer.
Now that you’ve got your poll question and answer options all set, scroll down the page to choose a style for the poll. There’s several nifty styles to choose from. Here’s just a few:
Next, choose a width for your poll widget:
There are several final options you can select before you create your poll:
- Closing polls automatically
- Adding a poll language pack to customize default English text and phrases such as button text, or have them appear in a different language
- Showing / hiding results
- Blocking repeat voters
- Allowing comments
- Allowing sharing
Once you’ve selected final options, be sure to click on the blue Create Poll button:
Publishing your poll
We offer several different ways for you to publish your poll. You can:
- Embed your poll on your website
- Embed your poll on your WordPress.com site
- Embed your poll on your WordPress.org site
- Embed your poll on your Tumblr site
- Embed your poll on your Posterous site
- Embed your poll on your MySpace site
- Embed your poll on your NING site
- Post a link to your poll on Twitter
- Copy a direct link to the poll’s community site page to share with others
- Send out your poll via email
Learn more about how to create and manage polls on Facebook using the Polldaddy Polls Facebook Application.
You may also be interested in:
Got time for a quick poll?